Wherever you’re traveling, and whether you’re backpacking around the wild or going from one camping place to another, you’re going to need a comfortable way of sleeping so that you can rest up and continue on adventuring.
Hammocks are one of the best on-the-go beds you can possibly have, and they’re the best way of being a boss at the whole outdoor sleeping.
The problem with some hammocks, is that they can be tricky to set up. And some can also be very heavy to carry around. And if you’re traveling, one of the basic rules is to do so lightly, especially if you’re backpacking.
So that’s a no on the kind of hammock that you would set up in your garden. You need something suited to travel and camping.
The solution is simple: get a travel hammock! They retain all the comfort of a normal hammock, but they’re designed to be a lot more lightweight and a lot easier to carry around during your travels.
They’re also usually a lot easier to set up, and you can do so just about anywhere, so you don’t have to spend as much time looking around for a place to set up for the night.
With so many travel hammocks available in today’s market, it can be a bit overwhelming to find the right one for you.
It’s important that it has an overall good quality, but it’s also important that it suits your specific needs and preferences, so that it provides you with what you need when traveling and camping.
To help out, we’ve compiled a list with some of the best travel hammocks you can possibly find, with most of them being especially good at certain specifics!
BEST OVERALL HAMMOCK
DAY USE HAMMOCK
CAMPING AND BACKPACKING
If you’re looking for the overall best travel hammock that covers all the basics and more, to an excellent level of quality, then look no further than the Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock.
It is both a double and single hammock, thanks to its wide size, and it is available in many different colors, so you can choose your favorite.
It is made of high quality heavy-duty 210T parachute nylon, meaning it is a super strong and durable material, that is also super soft and comfortable, for the best rest possible.
It has been designed to be lightweight and compact, making it perfectly easy to carry around during your travels. It packs down to the size of a grapefruit, and it comes with the necessary straps and carabiners to set it up easy and fast.
The straps themselves are 9ft long, and they have 5 separate loops, meaning they can be adjusted to the height of your choosing, making the hammock a lot more versatile. The product also comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Made of high quality 210T parachute nylon: highly durable and super-soft for comfort
- Lightweight and extremely compact: ideal for traveling and easy to store away
- Long straps with separate loops for adjustability: makes the hammock a lot more versatile to achieve the desired height off the ground
- 100% satisfaction guarantee: highly recommended product, excellent customer service
- No significant downsides
Whether you’re taking a midday nap in the wide outdoors, relaxing during your camping trip, or just chilling in your own garden, the One Trail Gear Packable Hammock is one of the best for day use, and ideal for taking with you as you travel.
Made from parachute nylon, it is lightweight while remaining highly durable and comfortable. It is easy to clean, fast to dry, and it packs up super small which makes it ideal for travel purposes.
This hammock measures 9.5 x 4.5 feet, and it comes with the nylon straps and 2 carabiners to string it up, allowing it to support a weight of up to 400lbs. It also has an attached pouch to hold your phone or other personal items, allowing you to just lie down and relax.
This hammock also comes with a mosquito net, which you can easily set up so that you’re protected from mosquitos and other bugs. It also has loops for wind ropes, so the hammock will stay sturdy and in place even on windy days.
- Durable and lightweight material: comfortable and easy to use, as well as it packing down to a small size for travel purposes
- Attached pouch for personal items: comfortable and convenient for the best relaxation
- Detachable mosquito net included: versatile, can be used with or without the net
- Loops for wind ropes: Helps keep the hammock sturdy even on windy days
- Very simple design
CAMPING AND BACKPACKING
When camping and backpacking, the most important factor is portability. But you shouldn’t have to compromise on comfort and durability.
The Forbidden Road Hammock for Backpacking and Camping is an excellent product option, as it delivers on everything at a high quality.
It is made from durable 210D nylon taffeta, and it supports up to 400lbs of weight. It’s also very lightweight, and it packs down to a very portable size, ideal for backpacking.
It’s easy to set up and it comes with 2 ropes and 2 carabiners. It is also available in multiple different colors, and is overall highly recommended for hikers and campers.
- Made from 210D nylon taffeta: highly durable, comfortable, and lightweight
- Packs down to a small size: ideal for backpacking and travel purposes
- Sets up in under 3 minutes: comes with the necessary tools, fast and easy, making it convenient for on-the-go camping
- Versatile use: ideal for backpacking, camping, and any other hammock uses
- Slightly lacks in strength - the ropes are quite thin
Hummingbird Hammocks are incredibly popular amongst customers, and for good reason.
The Ultralight Single Hammock, as the name indicates, is ultralight, weighing around 30% less than other hammocks on the market. It is made 100% from Nylon, and it can hold a weight of up to 300lbs.
It features a type IV certified webbing lock, making it strong and durable, and it is ideal for many different uses, whether it’s for a quick nap, or a full night of sleep!
It comes with the necessary straps and carabiners to set up, and it’s also available in a few different colors to suit your preference.
- 30% lighter than other hammocks: it really is ultralight, making it ideal for travel and on-the-go camping
- Made from 100% nylon: durable and high quality, as well as being comfortable to sleep in thanks to the softness of the material
- Handmade with certified webbing lock: incredible quality and design, made to last for a long time with regular use
- Very small in size
A lightweight hammock doesn’t have to, and shouldn’t, compromise on strength, and the Kootek Lightweight Camping Hammock is a great product example of this.
Available in a huge range of different colors, it’s incredibly lightweight and packable, for travel purposes, while fitting 2 people and withstanding a weight of up to 500lbs (a lot more than average travel hammocks!).
It comes with adjustable Tree-friendly straps, which are long enough to adapt to different height levels, and are easy enough to lock into place and set up.
Fast, easy, and they don’t damage the trees. The hammock is also highly durable, with anti-tearing, anti-fraying and resistance to dirt.
- Very lightweight, suitable for up to 500lbs and 2 people: can hold a lot of weight while being super easy to pack into a small and portable carry-bag
- Adjustable tree-friendly straps: easy and fast to set up at the preferred height, without causing damage to the trees
- Highly durable: the material has protection against tearing and fraying, as well as being resistant to dirt
- Very simple hammock, no accessories
Finding a more accessible hammock in price shouldn’t have to mean that you get a low-quality one.
The MalloMe Camping Hammock is the best for budget, and it remains highly competitive in its quality and design. In fact, it’s a best-selling product!
It’s incredibly comfortable, ideal for any situation. The unique strap design that it features also makes it super-strong, with an incredibly high strength of 1000lbs, making it one of the best regardless of price. This is thanks to the premium 210T nylon fabric it is made of.
It is light and compact, packing down to the size of a volleyball, ideal for travel. It is also super easy to set up, and it comes with the necessary high-strength carabiners and ropes.
- Best-selling product with budget price: Highly accessible while remaining one of the best quality product options in the market
- Unique strap design: provides an incredible strength of 1000lbs
- Light and compact: ideal for travel
- Carabiners and ropes included: easy and fast to set up, highly convenient
- No significant downsides
If there’s two of you, there’s no need to argue over who gets the hammock, just get a two-person one!
The ENO Eagles DoubleNest is perfect for hosting two people at once, and it’s incredibly comfortable to sleep in.
This hammock is incredibly lightweight, making it ideal for travel purposes, and it holds a weight of up to 400lbs, with enough space for 2 people.
The 70D High Tenacity Nylon Taffeta material is breathable and quick-drying too, which is super convenient for when you’re on the go.
The hammock is easy to set up, and it comes with aluminum wiregate carabiners and nautical-grade line with snap links, so you can secure it almost anywhere, including a wall!
- Space for 2 people: big enough for 2 adults at once, up to 400lbs
- Made from 70D High Tenacity Nylon Taffeta: breathable and strong material
- Aluminum wiregate carabiners included: easy to set up and highly versatile in where it can be set up
- High portability: lightweight and packable, ideal for travel
- Hammock straps are not included
If you’re looking to set up camp for a few days, and you want a comfortable and well-equipped hammock, the Covacure Camping Hammock with Net might just be what you need.
It’s made from high quality 210T parachute nylon, making it tear-resistant, breathable, and quick-drying. It is also incredibly durable and long-lasting.
It has been designed so that you can turn it over, depending on whether you want to use it with a net, or without.
It can hold a maximum weight of up to 440lbs, and it can be packed down into a small storage bag for easier travel.
Easy to set up and lightweight, it is ideal for use absolutely anywhere, and it has a handy pouch for storing essentials and small items, so you have a sort of “bed side table”!
- Made from high quality 210T parachute nylon: highly durable and resistant
- Versatile mosquito net: can be turned over to use the mosquito net, easy to switch between both modes
- Lightweight and portable: ideal for travel and camping
- Pouch for small items: comfortable and convenient set-up
- No significant downsides
The Sansuntek Travel and Camping Double Hammock is the perfect product option for those that want extra space to move around in their sleep.
It has been designed with extra space, and it can hold a larger maximum weight of up to 660lbs, so other people can join you on the hammock without a worry.
It is made from high quality 210T nylon parachute fabric, which is highly durable, as well as being tear-resistant, dirt-resistant, quick-drying, and breathable. It is also very soft, making it super comfortable to sleep in.
The product comes with 2 heavy duty steel carabiners, 2 tree straps with adjustable loops, and a set of instructions.
It’s easy to set up, and it’s also lightweight and easy to pack down to a small size, making it ideal for travel.
- Extra space and weight max: can hold up to 660lbs, with plenty of space for multiple people at once
- Made from 210T parachute nylon: highly durable, with great resistance to regular use, and a soft and comfortable feel
- Steel carabiners and tree straps included: asy to set up, secure and sturdy for regular use
- No significant downsides
The WintMing Camping Hammock is an excellent 3-piece hammock option that is ideal for braving multiple seasons, and different weather conditions, with ease.
It comes with the hammock, which has a bug net to keep away insects, as well as a waterproof hammock cover that you can set up to protect yourself from any rain or morning dew.
The tree straps have nopes, to make the set-up easier, and to protect the trees from any harm. And there are 2 foldable metal poles that can be used to set up the net. As well as coming with all the necessary ropes and carabiners.
The hammock is also lightweight, and portable enough for travel and backpacking. Plus, it has a weight capacity of up to 440lbs.
It also has a small hook for hanging a lantern, and is basically a full tent that hangs off the ground, making it ideal to brave any weather conditions (within reason).
- Net and waterproof cover: 3-piece set to protect against bugs and rain
- Tree straps with nopes: very easy and convenient setup, without harming the trees
- Lightweight and portable: ideal for travel and backpacking
- Hook for lantern: you can set up the hammock as you would a tent, convenient and comfortable!
- Zipping the hammock up can be tricky from the inside
It’s important that your travel hammock is as durable as possible, so that it can take your weight, and whatever the outdoors might throw at it, without you worrying about it.
The Honest outfitters Double Camping Hammock is a great product option, high-quality and highly durable. It can support a weight of up to 500 pounds, and it fits 2 people with ease.
Made from 210T nylon, it has been designed to last for a long time, and it is resistant to most wear and tear. It is also very lightweight and convenient when it comes to carrying it around, making it ideal for travel.
Easy to set up, and comfortable to use, it is an overall great and durable hammock to go for.
- Highly durable, with a max weight of 500 pounds: highly resistant and long-lasting, perfect for regular and heavy-duty use
- 210T nylon material: comfortable and well-designed, with high-quality material
- Lightweight and portable: highly convenient when packed down to a small size, and lightweight enough for travel
- Easy to set up: it comes with everything needed to be set up, and can be done so fast and easy
- Not as lightweight as it could potentially be due to the heavier carabiners it has
A good value hammock is one that has a high quality, and plenty of accessories and versatility, while being available for an accessible price.
In other words, a value hammock is one such as the Grand trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Mosquito Hammock. It comes with a mosquito net that hangs over the hammock, for convenience, and to allow for more space.
It also has a double-sided zipper so that you can get in and out of the hammock with ease. You can also get rid of the net by turning the hammock upside down, making it versatile.
Lightweight and portable, it is also easy to set up and comes with everything necessary. And once you’re in it, it’s incredibly comfortable.
Plus it also has two interior storage pockets to keep small items in, so it’s basically like having a tent set up above the ground!
All in all, the amount of things that it comes with make it incredibly high value, and a luxury during outdoor adventures.
- Mosquito net included: spacious mosquito net over the hammock for bug-protection, that you can choose to use or not
- Double-sided zippers: the reinforced zippers make it really easy to get in and out of the hammock
- 2 interior storage pockets: thanks to the 2 interior pockets, the hammock feels like a full tent with storage space
- Lightweight and portable: ideal for travel, with an easy set-up and a lightweight portability
- The set-up tools and components aren’t very durable
What is the best portable hammock?
One of the best overall portable hammocks is the Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock, as it is not only incredibly high-quality and comfortable, but also lightweight and portable, making it ideal for travel.
It is also highly adjustable, allowing you to set up the hammock at your desired height off the ground, and it has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, making it one of the most recommended product options in the market.
What is the best hammock brand?
There are many highly recommended brands when it comes to hammocks.
But for travel hammocks, some of the most popular and high-quality brands include Outfitters Hammocks, Hummingbird Hammocks, Kootek Hammocks, Covacure Hammocks, and ENO Hammocks.
They all offer various different hammock products, and are well-known for being reliable, accessible, and high-quality.
Are ENO hammocks worth it?
ENO is a great brand when it comes to hammocks, and they offer quite a few options for travel and camping hammocks.
They’re not the most accessible or cheapest in the market, so there are a few better options if you’re on a budget. They’re also not the most lightweight of hammocks.
However, ENO has some of the most comfortable hammock options, especially suited to when you’re staying in the same place for a few nights. One of their best products is the two-person hammock: ENO Eagles DoubleNest Lightweight Camping Hammock.
Overall, they are worth it, as they provide a high quality, with reliable and durable hammocks.
What makes a good camping hammock?
A good camping hammock should have everything you need in order to ensure you get a comfortable night’s rest, as well as being durable, easy to set-up, and sturdy.
If you’re going to camp in the same place for a few nights, then it’s also worth getting a bigger hammock with more accessories, so you can up the comfort levels even more.
Here are a few factors that you should consider when buying a camping hammock, to ensure that it’s good enough:
Usually a bigger more spacious hammock is better for camping, as it will give you a lot more space to lie in it comfortably, and it means you can share it with another person if you want to. And if you’re camping for several nights in a row, there’s no need to get a smaller hammock, as there is no need to get an extremely lightweight and portable hammock.
- Suspension Sturdiness and Setup:
It’s important with any hammock that the suspension system is secure and sturdy, and that the setup is as good as possible. After all, you should be able to sleep in the hammock without worrying about the setup coming undone or falling!
If you’re going to be staying in the same spot for more than a night, it’s a good idea to look for straps that are safe to use with trees, so that they don’t get damaged.
Some hammocks will come with a netting to keep out the bugs and mosquitoes, and this can be an absolute lifesaver during the summer season, and it keeps you protected and unbothered. Definitely something to look for in your hammock.
- Rain Cover:
Depending on the season and the weather, you might need to protect yourself from possible rain. And this is possible, even if you’re sleeping in a hammock, as long as you have a suitable rain cover.
These are usually very easy to set up, and they turn your hammock into a sort of tent above ground, that will keep you protected and dry.
Is a double hammock too big for one person?
Double hammocks are wider and more spacious, as well as being able to withstand a larger amount of weight, of usually 400lbs and over.
They are ideal for a large person, or for two adult people. But really, it depends on the amount of space that you want or need!
Some people like having some extra space, so that they can move around the hammock freely in their sleep. For this, you can either get a more spacious hammock, or a double one.
But others might feel overwhelmed by the extra space, and will prefer a normal single hammock.
Consider your own personal preferences and go from there! Double hammocks can essentially be used in whichever way you want, they’re just able to accommodate an extra person with ease.
Should I buy a double or single hammock?
This is a question that only you can answer, based on your needs and preferences. There are advantages and disadvantages to both options.
For example, a single hammock is a lot lighter and a lot easier to transport, as it will take up less space, but it doesn’t have as much space and it usually won’t hold as much weight.
A double hammock is slightly heavier than the single hammock, but it can hold more weight and it has a lot more space to lie in.