Even if you have a perfectly air-conditioned RV with a super comfy bed and couch, you’re not going to want to spend your whole trip inside.
While having outdoor furniture with you is a good idea. They can be difficult to store. Plus, you can’t take them with you on a hike or when you decide to pitch a tent somewhere nearby.
Instead, a portable hammock is your absolute best option. Portable hammocks can be easily squashed into a bag and stored away. You definitely can’t do this with a sun lounger.
A hammock is also a lot more relaxing. Whether you’re looking for a hammock to spend the night in. Or just one to lay about relaxing in. There are plenty of options available. Hammocks also need to be sensible and practical.
So here’s our guide to the best portable hammock.
TOP PICK PORTABLE HAMMOCK
Our top pick for the best portable hammock is this super lightweight but durable and affordable product from Kootek.
This hammock might look complicated, but it is easy to assemble. It has a very standard setup but features a large mosquito net.
The mosquito net can be attached to the hammock with carabiners. This is then attached to the straps on the tree. So no extra pressure is put on the hammock itself.
Despite its large mosquito net, this hammock is still very affordable. Even at such an affordable price, this hammock is very durable and excellent quality. It is made from 210 thread Nylon. This is very durable but also comfortable, breathable, and easy to clean.
The straps of this hammock are also very durable. The straps are easy to tie to a tree or a stand. They are also attached to the hammock by carabiners and strongly tied rope knots.
- Parachute Material - This is lightweight, soft, breathable, and durable.
- Affordable - Not so cheap as to question the quality but still affordable.
- Extra Large Mosquito Net - Mosquito net covers the entirety of the hammock.
- Needs to be upside down to not use mosquito net.
BEST LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABLE HAMMOCK
With all its different parts, this hammock is surprisingly lightweight. It features a mosquito net and a rain fly. But can be packed away into a bag that can fit in the palm of your hand.
All the necessary parts of this hammock are included in the price. This includes straps for tying to a tree, rain fly, mosquito net, hooks, carabiners, ropes, and even an eye sleep mask.
These additional features are ideal for camping, especially in woodland areas. The rain fly and mosquito net can be easily tied down. But the hammock can also be used without the rain fly or mosquito net.
The rain fly can also be used as a waterproof picnic blanket or as an open tent. The rain fly is tied down with hooks and ropes in the same why as a standard tent. This is a very versatile product.
Another useful feature is the “stuff sack”. This is a small bag attached to the side of the hammock. It can easily hold your valuables. The bag can hang outside the hammock or be tucked inside next to you for extra safety.
- Includes Carry Bag - All parts of this hammock can be packed down into a small waterproof bag.
- Includes Rain Fly and Mosquito Net - These make the hammock ideal for camping.
- Affordable - Even with the additional features, this hammock is still very affordable.
- Includes Sleep Mask - This is a nice addition that will make sleeping outdoors much more peaceful.
- Multiple parts will take longer to set up.
BEST PORTABLE HAMMOCK FOR TWO
Sleeping two in a hammock can be pretty difficult. So it’s important to invest in a hammock that will give you as much space as possible. This double hammock from Legit Camping is very secure and stable.
You won’t be worrying about this hammock falling down in the middle of the night. On either end of the hammock is a carabiner.
This hooks onto a thick strap which is tied tightly around the tried and fastened. This means that it will be secured much more tightly than a standard hammock.
This hammock has been designed to be as durable as possible. The seams are reinforced with three layers of stitching. So you won’t have to worry about it tearing or becoming loose as you pack it in and out of a bag.
This also means that there is no risk of the hammock tearing with the weight of someone sleeping in it. Or from the hammock being tied tightly between the trees.
Made from enhanced nylon, this hammock is super breathable and won’t be stuffy or overly warm as some tents might. And this isn’t any kind of nylon.
It has a 210 thread count. This hammock will feel as soft as a bedsheet. So you won’t feel as though you’re just napping on a strung up tent.
- 210 Thread Count - This makes the hammock feel soft and comfortable.
- Reinforced Triple Stitching - This will add extra durability.
- Extra Large - As well as being extra wide, this hammock is 10ft long.
- Slightly more expensive than average.
BEST PORTABLE HAMMOCK WITH STAND
This is another fantastic option from the Republic of Durable Goods. This hammock has additional features such as a mosquito net that almost completely surrounds the hammock itself.
The mosquito net requires setting up with poles similar to those in a tent. There is also a zipped door within the mosquito netting. Essentially, this is a tent made from mosquito netting.
This is fantastic for camping in areas that have a lot of bugs and other creatures that might crawl around during the night.
As well as the mosquito net, this hammock comes with an extra large rain fly. This is another very large addition to the hammock. It also needs tent poles. This is another feature that is essentially an open tent over the hammock.
It is also possible to sleep in this hammock without the mosquito net and waterproof tarp. So you will be able to sleep safely and soundly during the night.
But then enjoy the sunshine during the day. Should the sun become a little too much, there is also the option of an attached foldable sun shade.
With all these additional features, this hammock does require several bags. Each additional feature includes structural poles. But this does mean that it can be easily folded down and packed away.
- Includes Mosquito Net - This is a well-structured net that is essentially a tent over the hammock.
- Includes Waterproof Tarp - This is essentially a very large rain fly that will keep you completely dry.
- Folding Hammock - This hammock can be easily folded up and packed away.
- More expensive than average.
BEST PORTABLE BEACH HAMMOCKS
The best portable beach hammock will need to be one that can be easily packed into your beach bag. But will also allow you to relax and gently rock on the sea breeze.
This hammock is great for setting up on the beach. It can be tied between two trees. Or it can be attached to a frame.
Despite being big enough for two people, this cotton canvas hammock is one of the easiest for packing. Due to its super soft material, this hammock can be easily rolled up and slung into the trunk of your car or packed away in an RV cupboard.
Alternatively, this hammock can be slung over your shoulder or clipped onto your backpack. It’s ideal for traveling as you simply have to unroll it and tie it up. Then, when you’re moving on, just unclip it, roll it up, and go. Simple.
This hammock also comes with a carry bag of the same pattern and color. So, even when you’re packed up or hiking, you can have a bright and happy splash of color on you.
It is also designed to be set up on a frame. The frame itself will need to be bought separately. But it does mean that you can use this hammock out and about while camping. Or just chilling in your backyard or on the beach.
- Attach to a Frame or Trees - This hammock can be set up anywhere.
- Colorful - This hammock comes in a bright, happy, and colorful design that will add some fun to a beach day.
- Comes in Matching Bag - Easy to pack away into a very small bag.
- Carry bag is not waterproof.
BEST PORTABLE HAMMOCK FOR CAMPING
The best camping hammock available is this fantastic product from Republic of Durable Goods. This hammock was financed through a fan fundraiser. So you can be sure that it is the top pick for many other campers as well.
It is designed especially for those who regularly go travelling and camping. It is super easy to fold up and pack away. That said, it does need packing away into several bags.
This hammock is perfect for camping. It’s almost a cross between a sleeping bag, a camping chair, and a camping cot. It is the best of all three worlds. And is specifically designed to be portable and easy to assemble.
If you want to use this hammock during the day, then it is also great for relaxing in the sunshine. This hammock is designed for camping. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be pitched up on the beach. It also features a folding sun shade that sits directly above the head.
Another useful feature of this hammock is the basket beneath it. This can be used to store anything that you would need to easily reach while in the hammock.
- Folding Hammock - This hammock can be easily folded up and packed away.
- Features Padding and a Top Quilt - This essentially works as a sleeping bag built into the hammock.
- Includes Head and Feet Rests - These rests means that you will be properly supported throughout the night.
- Slightly more expensive than average.
BEST PORTABLE HAMMOCK WITH MOSQUITO NET
Many hammocks include mosquito nets but this hammock from covacure is the best of them all.
The mosquito net on this hammock fits completely over the top. This means that you will be completely surrounded by either hammock or mosquito netting while you sleep.
This will stop you from becoming concerned about any mosquitos or other bugs getting in through any gaps.
As a hammock, this is a very standard option. It is very traditional in style and shape. This means that it is easy to hang up. But also easy to take down. Despite the additional mosquito net, it won’t take too much extra effort to put up both.
Another useful feature of this hammock is the carry bag included. The storage bag for this hammock is attached to the hammock itself.
To pack the hammock away, you simply need to compress the hammock and pack it into the bag. When the hammock is opened out, this bag can be used to store items you need easy access to.
- Mosquito Net - This mosquito net fits very closely to the hammock.
- Affordable - Despite the additional mosquito net, this hammock is still very affordable.
- Includes Storage Bag - This can sit inside or outside the hammock to store your valuables.
- Setting up will take slightly longer than average.
BEST PORTABLE HAMMOCK FOR BACKPACKING
There are a number of factors which make this hammock ideal for backpacking. One of which is that it can be easily attached to your backpack.
It can be clipped on and won’t be a nuisance. Due to its small size when packed away, it also wouldn’t take up much space inside a backpack.
Another useful feature of this hammock is that it is partly made from a very bright green material. This will mean you will be easy to spot while out and about which is great for safety. It also means that you will be able to see it easily and won’t lose it or forget it.
The shape of this hammock is very standard. But it is slightly wider than other options. This means that you will have a lot more space to settle in and move around.
The straps of this hammock are very sturdy. They are made from a thick material that will keep the hammock stable and in place.
They also won’t require you to tie any knots. The straps of this hammock have been specially designed to be as easy as possible to set up and secure. This also means that you won’t spend ages trying to unpick the knot you tied as tightly as you could.
- Straps Not Ropes - There is no need to tie knots. This will make for a much faster assembly and disassembly.
- Affordable - This isn’t a cheap hammock, so you won’t need to be concerned about the quality. But it is very affordable in comparison to some other options.
- Packs Down Small - This hammock can be easily clipped onto a backpack or stored inside.
- Slightly wider than average but not big enough to be a double.
BEST HAMMOCK TENT
The mosquito net and rain fly included with this hammock turn it into what is essentially a hanging tent. This is ideal for all-weather camping. The rain fly completely covers the hammock and features an opening that can be rolled open.
This is similar to that of a tent. The rain fly can cover most of the hammock with a small portion opened. This can also happen with the mosquito net attached as well. This will allow in fresh air and keep you safe and dry.
The mosquito net is also impressive. It is structured over the hammock with tent-like poles. This means that there is no need for tying additional ropes to the trees.
- Traditional Hammock Shape - Despite the structural poles, this hammock still hangs in the traditional style.
- Structured Mosquito Net - This net completely covers the hammock and does not require additional ropes.
- Nylon Material - This hammock is very durable but still lightweight and easy to pack away.
- Slightly more expensive than average.
This is a very simple and very affordable hammock. This is best-suited for someone who is an irregular camper. This is great for just throwing into a backpack when you feel like going on a hike or a trip.
It is made from very durable and strong parachute material. This means that it can take 400lbs of weight. But it is still breathable and very comfortable. It is easy to clean and will dry quickly.
The bag is also waterproof and easy to pack away or clip to a backpack.
- Triple Interlocking Stitching - This means that it can be tied up tightly and won’t sag too much.
- Parachute Material - This is standard for many hammocks and is very comfortable and breathable.
- Available in Multiple Colors - Choose the best color that matches your other camping equipment.
- Straps need to be tied and knotted around a tree. This is not the most stable option.
This hammock is relatively large but can be packed down into a very small bag. It doesn’t have many additional features. But this means that it is a good quality hammock at a very affordable price.
Although this hammock comes with straps instead of rope, it still requires tying. Instructions are included. But this requires a special kind of knot that might take some practice to get the hang of.
This hammock also comes in multiple colors. This isn’t a necessary feature, but it is a nice one.
One of the best features of this hammock is the affordable price. This is definitely one of the most affordable options on this list. And one of the most affordable options on the market.
- Very Affordable - This hammock is still good quality for such a low price.
- Very Simple - This hammock is simply the hammock which can be packed into an attached bag, two straps, and two hooks.
- Available in Multiple Colors - This is a nice feature that will allow you to choose a color that you prefer best.
- Requires tying with a special knot.
What is the best portable hammock?
This depends on your personal preference. But our top pick is the affordable Kootek hammock shown above.
What is the best hammock brand?
This depends on the style of hammock you’re looking for.
If you want something super durable that comes with its own frame, Republic of Durable Goods is a great place to start. But, these are primarily designed for camping trips. They also specialize in folding hammocks.
If you want something that will look nice outside your RV, then there are plenty of other brands out there. If you want something traditional then Rusee and Ohuhu make beautiful colored hammocks.
What is the best hammock to sleep in?
Try to find something that is designed to be very durable. You might even want to consider a folding hammock.
Rather than be tied between two trees, these hammocks come with their own frames that can be folded up and packed away.
Folding hammocks will allow you to be fully supported while still experiencing the relaxing feeling of a hammock.
Are ENO hammocks worth it?
ENO hammocks are some of the best when it comes to portability. They can be packed down super small. Even when unfolded, they won’t take up much space.
While they are generally a great option, it’s important to remember that they have been designed primarily to be easy to pack away.
Are hammocks worth it?
But, if you’re looking for a hammock for camping, then there are a few important factors to consider.
The most important things to think about are the benefits and drawbacks of sleeping in a hammock versus sleeping in a tent.
This will mostly depend on the type of hammock you go for. If you want a way to stay away from any bugs that might otherwise get into a tent, then a hammock is an option.
But, if you’re camping in the outdoors, then there is still a chance that midges and spiders will be about. But, this can be solved by adding a mosquito net to your hammock.
Should I get a single or Double Nest Eno?
When it comes to portability, double and single Nest Enos are pretty similar in size when packed away.
So if you’re concerned that the double Nest Eno will take up more space or be more difficult to carry, then you don’t need to worry.
In terms of weight, a double Nest Eno is only 3oz heavier than a single Nest Eno. In terms of its size when unfolded, a double Nest Eno is 112” x 75” compared to the 112” x 55” of the single Eno.
While there isn’t much in it, this will make a difference.